Friday, February 5, 2010

“The water is warm but it’s sending me shivers”

People can say all they want that the past doesn’t make up who you are. But what else are you than your past? Everything we know, except instinctual behavior we learn as we grow, and if we know something to be true, our subconscious mind will believe that until proven otherwise. The water could be warm, but if you know water to be cold, you’ll still feel the shivers.
Throughout life, she knew people to leave her. She hadn’t known one to follow through with commitment. A cold, empty void in her left her with detachment and an unknown promise to never get too close to anyone but herself. The clock ticked, there were voices in the street, the TV was on, but none of this involved her. And when the time came for the warmth she should have embraced, she turned it cold with her shoulder.

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote. And you are very right, our past makes us who we are and we cannot change that. But I am very confident that you can change who you are based on your past. Say you're in a negative situation and you regret doing it; you change yourself so you don't do that again. I think it would be great if you expanded the first paragraph and making that into a story. Just explain the quote into further detail, provide examples. This could be a fantastic piece with your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really like this especially how you explain to us that what happens in the past influences what happens in tomorrow. Maybe explain why so many people left her and what her situation is right now, like where she lives and who she lives with. I think that you should explain "the warmth she should have embraced." I can't wait to read your piece when it's done, I'm sure it'll be great! :)

    ReplyDelete